Our Sustainability Practices
First Church is a leader among congregations committed to making our planet more sustainable. Check out some of the things we've done so far:
- Installed 124 LED light bulbs in our sanctuary, partnering with our Buildings & Grounds Committee and New Generation Energy to save $7500 and 27 tons of CO2 each year.
- Hosted a barn raising with 20 volunteers working to weatherize and reduce water usage throughout the entire building with HEET.
- Became the first graduate of the Sustainable Community Leader Program, working to reduce our environmental impact in five key areas.
- Partnered with Mass Interfaith Power and Light on several home and congregation based sustainability initiatives.
- Made a substantial contribution to Carbonfund.org to offset our carbon footprint in effort to make our building carbon neutral.
- Partnered with Rockville Market Farm to have local produce shares for parishioners and friends delivered weekly to the Parsonage.
- Instituted composting of all coffee hour lunches and refreshments.
- Took part in the Lenten Carbon Fast, to receive daily tips to reduce our individual energy usage substantially.
- Signed up over a dozen families for energy audits from Next Step Living helping them take energy reducing actions.