Join a powerful rally and vigil on December 14 to demonstrate against gun violence and in support of effective measures to curb it. Join the many individuals and groups organizing this action, including the Massachusetts Coalition to Prevent Gun...
Our Sustainability Practices
First Church is a leader among congregations committed to making our planet more sustainable. Check out some of the things we've done so far:
- Installed 124 LED light bulbs in our sanctuary, partnering with our Buildings & Grounds Committee and New Generation Energy to save $7500 and 27 tons of CO2 each year.
- Hosted a barn raising with 20 volunteers working to weatherize and reduce water usage throughout the entire building with HEET.
- Became the first graduate of the Sustainable Community Leader Program, working to reduce our environmental impact in five key areas.
- Partnered with Mass Interfaith Power and Light on several home and congregation based sustainability initiatives.
- Made a substantial contribution to Carbonfund.org to offset our carbon footprint in effort to make our building carbon neutral.
- Partnered with Rockville Market Farm to have local produce shares for parishioners and friends delivered weekly to the Parsonage.
- Instituted composting of all coffee hour lunches and refreshments.
- Took part in the Lenten Carbon Fast, to receive daily tips to reduce our individual energy usage substantially.
- Signed up over a dozen families for energy audits from Next Step Living helping them take energy reducing actions.