In the Advent season, we remember years past when our pulpit area was filled with coats or toys ready for donation to various organizations helping people from our community who don’t have everything they need. This holiday season, our opportunities to give and support communities in need might look different, but the need is greater. The Missions and Social Justice Committee has compiled the following list of opportunities for donation. In the case that you and your family are in a position to support these organizations, we hope that you find this list helpful. If you have any questions, please reach out to Molly Baker (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the Missions and Social Justice Committee.
- Christmas at The First Church Shelter At Christmas, each Shelter guest receives a $50 gift card for personal purchases. Would you like to sponsor one this year? Your donation will truly be appreciated by a Shelter guest. Donate here.
- The Friday Café With a severe shortage of beds across Massachusetts, unhoused neighbors will need to layer to survive this winter. Friday Café is accepting donations of men’s and women’s warm pants, shirts, jackets, coats, hats, scarves, gloves and sleeping bags. You can also visit their Amazon wish list for essential items. The Friday Café will be open on Christmas Day, and would love some help making the day special for guests without homes or family connections. If you and your family would like to make 10 holiday treat bags filled with candy, nuts, or other holiday goodies, you can do that by visiting our online signup clicking on December 25 to add your name.
- Black Lives Matter Boston – Financial Support for Local Students Resources are needed for housing, food, and COVID-19 related needs. Additionally, students are in need of their own laptops to access online learning for school work. Give directly via their PayPal (Phoenix Printemps), or you may donate via BLM Boston’s official Fiscal Sponsor Building Audacity via PayPal. You may also mail a check to: Building Audacity, Inc., 79 Allen Avenue, Lynn, MA 01902.
- Food Pantry Holiday meals are happening, and your neighbors are in need. Always welcome: proteins, cereal, canned fruit and veg, cooking oil. Treats of olive oil, maybe even cookies. Special items too: diapers, feminine hygiene products. Bring your donations at any time during the month to Hilary’s house, 30 Winslow St. in Cambridge, .75 mile up Garden St. from First Church, just past the [closed] firehouse. Leave things in the cooler on the porch (tug on the friction lid) and ring the bell.
- Solutions at Work Toy Drive SAW is accepting donations of gently used clothing, books, toys, and baby equipment to offer to clients as a part of the clothing and toy exchange program. Alternatively, they offer a wishlist for certain items, which you can access here. They are accepting donations through December 20. Donations can be shipped to 1151 Mass Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138. Or to arrange for drop-off or pick-up, please call SAW at 617-401-5335.